These Paleo Pickled Onions will change your life!! I’m not kidding! I’ve seen it happen.
I’ve been making these for a while and last year when some friends and I were planning a camping trip, I told my foodie friend, Kara, that I was going to put together a burger bar with, among other things, these amazing Paleo Pickled Onions. She was like, “uh huh.” She wasn’t really on board with the onions, UNTIL the burger bar night!
A year later, these onions are still being talked about. They’re basically camping folklore.
Why should you make these and what on earth would you eat them with, you ask? Because they’re DELICIOUS and, EVERYTHING!
These tangy, almost sweet-tasting, beautiful purple onions are perfect on eggs, omelettes, salads, meat, veggies, and the list goes on. They will add a flavor zip to everything they top!
And they’re so easy, y’all!
Less than five minutes, hands-on, and then let the hands of the clock do the work.
They need overnight to pickle, so make them at least a day ahead of when you’ll need them. But I suggest keeping a jar in the fridge at all times, because you will ALWAYS need them!
Approximately 16 servings
5 minPrep Time
8 hr, 5 Total Time
- 2 Medium Red Onions
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- I Mason Jar with lid
- Slice onions. I like to halve the onion from top to bottom, place the flat side down and slice thinly so you have half-moon slices. You can also dice the onions if you prefer.
- Pack the onions into the jar.
- Using a liquid measuring cup, add the ACV, water, lemon juice, and salt and stir.
- Pour the mixture over the onions until all are covered. I usually pack the jar right up to the top.
- Place the lid on the jar.
- Shake the jar to make sure all onions are covered.
- Turn the jar upside down and leave on the kitchen counter overnight (at least 8 hours).
- In the morning, turn the jar upright and place in the refrigerator until ready to use. Which should be immediately because they're so good!!!
I can’t get enough of the color! They’re beautiful and they elevate every dish they join.
Make these ASAP and comment below with what your favorite dish is you put them on.
I can’t wait until tomorrow when I get to eat more!!