Courtney Cook – Founder of Badass Skincare, Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, dog lover, adventure seeker, ice cream eater
Health is everything. Food is power.
I believe these two statements all the way deep-down to my core, but it’s been a long journey for me to find and believe those truths.
I was on a diet for 35 years, starting at age 12. 12 years old, y’all!! I always viewed myself as fat and was trying to lose 10 pounds. Then in college I was trying to lose 30 pounds. Being on a diet for so long messes with your mind and self-confidence. All those years of deprivation and telling myself “I can’t have that” made me want to eat “that” all the time. “That” was all kinds of sugar – processed foods, crackers, M&M’s, baked goods, muffins, etc. I LOVE ice cream!! I mean, LOVE it. Diets never worked for me in the long term. I tried limiting calories, Weight Watchers and myriad other ways to drop those extra pounds. I couldn’t understand why my willpower wouldn’t take over and help me succeed. I felt like a failure. I felt unattractive, undesirable and not ever good enough, all because of 10 pounds.
Then, a few years ago, I heard about Paleo. I bought a book, but never read it. A couple years later I couldn’t stop thinking about Paleo. I pulled out my book, read a few pages, checked out some Paleo websites and started cooking and eating that way. I didn’t limit calories or the amount I ate, I only changed what I ate. I quit dieting and that’s when I lost those final 10 pounds that had been haunting me for more than 30 years!!
That’s when I began to realize the power of food. Food is strength. Food is fuel. Food is medicine. Food is joy. Food is social. Food is a drug. Food is poison. Food is a abuse. Food is a weapon.
How can food be so good and bad at the same time? It comes down to your relationship with food and how you view it. And how you use it. And how you abuse it.
I wish I could tell you I lost 10 pounds and my life completely changed – that I felt pretty, desirable and finally good enough. Those things did finally happen, but not because of 10 pounds.
Those things happened because on my journey I began to do things to build my confidence in myself. I started weight-training and instead of focusing on my body weight and how I looked, I began focusing on becoming strong. As my strength grew, so did my self-confidence. I began getting out of my comfort zone and doing things that scared me on a regular basis. I realized I could be brave and when I didn’t think I could be brave, I could act brave. Facing fears built a confidence inside me that I never knew could exist.
But, my journey started with food.
I was so fascinated by the power of food that I became a Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. The program changed my life! I no longer use food as a weapon against myself, but I use its power to strengthen my body and fuel my self-confidence and inspire me to be brave. Because we’re all individual, there’s no “one-size-fits-all” nutrition plan. We must find what works for our individual body.
My goal is to help you find your food power, optimize your health, strengthen your confidence, fuel your bravery and fully realize the badass you are!
On my website you’ll find healthy recipes to fuel your body for success; products and ideas to support your health and reduce your toxin load; stories to inspire you to get out of your comfort zone and live your fullest life. And, if you want to work with me one-on-one, check out my programs. I’m passionate about helping people find the freedom I’ve found through feeding your body what it needs.
We have one life. We have one body. Treat your body well so you can live your best life!
Want to know more? 15 things about me:
- I don’t have a microwave.
- I have a tiny kitchen. My prep area is about 24 inches by 18 inches deep! If I can cook in mine, you can cook in yours!
- I don’t have a dishwasher. Good ol’ elbow grease is how I wash my dishes!
- I hate beets. You’ll never see a beet in any of my recipes! The only thing I like about them is the color. Although, I’m eating some fermented veggies a friend gave me and they’re delicious and they have beets in them. I may have to rethink this statement.
- I don’t know how to use the broiler in my oven.
- I love chocolate.
- I’m scared of flying and have held hands at 30,000 feet with more strangers than I could ever count!
- I love red wine and scotch.
- I love lifting weights and can dead lift more than my body weight! I belong to the amazing community of athletes at The Phoenix Effect. If you’re in Los Angeles, come work out with me! The coaches, the classes and the community are kick-ass!
- I love camping and hiking. I did my first section hike of the PCT this year!
- I’m a singer and an actress.
- Orange is my favorite color.
- I live alone and cook pretty much all of my meals. Cooking for one can be easy and fun!
- I have nerve-damage in my face as a result of having a benign tumor removed from my facial nerve. The nerves crossed, so when I eat, the left side of my face sweats instead of my mouth making saliva. Aren’t our bodies amazing!!!
- I love to travel and want to go to Iceland next. I want to eat my weight in seafood while I’m there.